A successful move really comes down to planning, planning, planning! The best way to move is by planning a thorough moving checklist in advanced, one that you can work at each week leading up to moving day. We offer a moving calendar on our website for your convenience but here is a quick overview of it to get you started.
6-8 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Contact multiple moving companies to compare rates and estimates
- Select your company and make sure you understand the terms of business
5 Weeks Before Moving Date
- If you haven’t already, make sure that you have your desired moving date selected and confirmed with your moving company
- Sort belongings that you do not wish to move into sell, donate, and throw away piles. Make arrangements for items that you wish to sell
- Start using up perishables that you will not be packing such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies
4 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Contact utility companies and arrange for shut-off dates
- Contact your post office, doctors, or any other service that may need to be notified of your new contact information
- Purchase packing materials if you have not already
- Begin packing up lesser used areas of the home such as the attic and basement
3 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Arrange for special moving day transport for pets and plants
- Make arrangements for yourself if you are moving long distance (book hotels, flights, etc.)
- Collect important documents and items that you will not be putting on the moving truck such as passports, birth certificates, family heirlooms, and medical records
- Continue packing areas of the house that you don’t use as often. Pack any non-essential kitchen items and knick-knacks
2 Weeks Before Moving Date
- Make sure all packed boxes are clearly labeled and that you know which room each one will be going on moving day
- Make last-minute plans with friends and family that you may be moving away from
1 Week Before Moving Date
- Finish packing all non-essential items in your home. Set aside a couple of boxes for things that you will pack up on moving day. Make sure you are rid of gasoline or other flammables that cannot go onto a moving truck.
- Do a thorough walk-through of your home, making sure that you are not forgetting anything.
- Sit back, relax, let the movers do the work, and get excited for your new home!
We hope that this moving checklist helps you prepare for a successful moving day. Excel Moving & Storage is here for you every step of the way should you require any of our moving and storage services. Happy moving!